This week I presented at Black Hat USA. The talk is titled “Poacher turned gatekeeper: lessons learned from eight years of breaking hypervisors”. The main points were:
- Describe the attack surface of Type 1 and Type 2 hypervisors
- Show that despite not being 100% bulletproof, hypervisors are still the best usable way to isolate potentially malicious code
- Describe a few generic methods to harden a hypervisor
- Discuss four new VirtualBox vulnerabilities
- Discuss DMA attacks against DeepSafe
The whitepaper is here, enjoy.